Monday 5 September 2016

Back to School

Monday! First day of the week. The day when everything starts whether it's work, that diet you said you would start last Monday, running that errand you forgot about; a day of new beginnings anyway. But this Monday is a special one. It is the first Monday of September, which means a whole new beginning of a new season, and this time in a new city, and new company, where goals start becoming reality! First step, with the Royal Ballet of Flanders, working on their big new production of Spartacus, celebrating Yuri Grigorovich's 90th birthday. 

Due to some unfortunate events concerning the ballet company I worked with in Romania, I have decided to make a step into finding another job. The last few months of the season, I had not been at the best states of mind, which had brought down a great deal of my confidence levels. Dancing wise, I had been able to invest any emotion I held in, any anger, sadness or even happiness-that of the joy of dance- into my dancing itself. When it came to dancing William Forsythe's 'In the Middle Somewhat Elevated', that exuberant feeling when the first Crash hits the music is powerful like no other. The studio and stage had been the only moments I forgot about reality and could escape to a world of my own, turning any troubles into tools of motivation. However, what I hadn't realized at the time is that I had also turned the anger in to a weapon when leaving the studio, killing off every bit of hope and trust I had in myself, crippled by a negative energy I was not proud of.



I must clarify, my position at work had not been threatened. I had always received respect as a professional which I really appreciate. But what had troubled me was the decision I had to make, after seeing that the company may not be healthy environment for me to present my work honestly anymore. This has proved to me how vital a good communication among your peers and co-workers are within a working environment. Going back to what I have learnt in Reader 2 about the importance of networking and the connections you have at work, in order to create an efficient working team in the aim to grow and develop as artists and as a company itself. 

Of course, this could be a very big risk leaving full time job, with -maybe minimal yet- stable income, continuing your performance experience and having a studio to train daily. Perhaps, had I not found a new contract, I would have gone back, which could have been one option. It could have turned out to be better than what I had expected. But I feel a step had to be made on my account. 

During the summer I had time to really clear my mind and reflect back on the year that passed. I had spent a month writing down pages and pages of options, and plans of what the next step was for my career. Every decision I made was vital as it would determine what was to happen next in my life, which is something we, as humans, cannot have control over. What we do have control of is the way we approach our decision and they way we adapt and grow.

The turning point of my attitude towards life decisions had started after spending a month in the beautiful  Basque city of San Sebastian, located in the north coast of Spain. I was given the opportunity by dancer/choreographer/inspiring woman figure Iratxe Ansa, to be a part of a contemporary dance workshop that encouraged creativity and healthy team spiritual involvement in the studio. Ironically enough it was called Metamorphosis. Unlike the 'world of ballet' , there was a very human approach towards the connection between the dancers as well as the teachers with their dancers. By sharing ideas with each other (often after Improvisation session) we had created trust among us, which later contributed in our dancing and bonding as a group. About 30 dancers had gathered to this city, from all around the world -Mexico, Spain, Canada, Australia, America, Italy... all with the same aim and determination. We had also been given the opportunity to perform in different venues in the north of Spain, like the famous Church of San Telmo to traditional live music of the Basque country, called the Txalaparta, and the famous Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, which had left us all very inspired.A very special experience it had been for plenty of the dancers, including myself. 

Having met these amazing dancers and friends, and challenging my mind and body with a technique I am not usually used to every day, I have discovered many things, like the exquisite possibilities that one body can do and how you can go much further than you believe your mind allows you. What I have also reflected back on afterwards, is how your mood and feeling can affect the others around you. The positive energy and work ethic in the studio as well as the kind and genuine people I have been so lucky to meet, have given me left me inspired with healthy outlook in life and dance. 

I had arrived home after this trip more motivated than ever to continue dancing during the summer, keep in shape and match my goals. I had organised auditions, taught ballet at home to young students, and trained by myself with minimal facilities, making the most of what I had learnt within the past year, including Patrick Rumps Training program, Stephane Dale's Floor Barre and a class I created myself following methods I had learnt in Spain this summer, by Iratxe and her husband Igor. All this while spending quality time with my family which I love so much. I am so grateful to have their support and guidance in every step I take.

I look forward to starting materializing goals in my career and BAPP in this new study year, and really discovering what I would like to base my final dissertation through the second Module of my studies. I wish everyone the best of luck!!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Taz,

    I found this a really interesting and honest read - thank you! I think that making a decision to move on to something else in our industry is a very brave decision that should be applauded because as you say - we have no control over what's coming up next. How important is it to take risks? I totally agree with you in that dancing on stage is the place where I can either express my emotions positively or completely disconnect from reality. I had a situation on a job where I couldn't do that anymore - I was distracted on stage, I was bringing the outside world into the workplace. Granted it was all in my mind and I still carried out my job to the highest standard but it wasn't healthy for me as an individual. I needed to leave and move onto something else and remember why I loved dancing so much, I believe it is so important to have positive relationships and affilliation switch your co-workers, even if it's just in a professional sense because it changes the whole experience. In the previous module we discussed how social networking levels out the hierarchy in the workplace as everyone is collaborating and sharing ideas. You said this happened with the dancers and choreographers in Spain by sharing ideas and creating things together - do you think it's alays a good thing to have these roles on an even level? I'd love you to take a look at some of the questions I'm starting to form on my most recent blog as I feel they may be of interest to you and I'd love to hear your opinion. It sounds like you're much happier now so congratulations and keep moving forward :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://meganlouch.blogspot.co.uk/

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your comment Megan! I must say congratulations to you too for making that big decision. It is indeed very scary as you are entering the 'unknown', a place that can create all kinds of self doubt and stress. However, it depends how one sees it as it could also be 'freedom' :) which in our case if feel like it was! you were definitely brave to move forward!!

      I have taken some time to review your questions and I am very interested to go deeper into the topic of risk taking! not just personally but professionally and risk taking within a company as a collective, pushing boundaries, challenging the dancers as well as audience, which opens doors to evolution hopefully to the better. I believe that Antwerp, where I am working at the moment, is quite the perfect place to discover more about this. This city itself is full of quirks and creative events in the weekends, introducing new artistic ideas. Also, the company has been going through a big change of repertoire. From being a classical company, the work now has switched to being 90% contemporary, with just one classical ballet this season. I would be very intrigued to find out more about how the dancers are learning to adapt to this new works and management. Also, what triggered this change? Is it the management, or does it also play with the interests of the audience watching the company?

      I am also interested about the importance of what the dancers have to say. Dance is a mute form of art, and it has to do mostly because of the nature that it is. It is all expressed though the body and souls movement (voice in exception ofcourse). So I feel that a lot of the time we forget as dancers that we have a voice. I believe that having a person in charge , a leader, is important when it comes to decisions being taken artistic and within the business. However, I also feel that our voice as dancers need to be heard. Ofcourse, you cannot make everyone happy, however, as you said, the relationship with your co-workers should be coopertive and it is very vital when being part of a company as you are not alone. It is a team and the better the team communicates amongst itself, the smoother is will work!

      Delete