Tuesday 25 October 2016

Professional Inquiry Triangle- Interests

The course on deciding my field of interest I would focus on in Module 2, has allowed me to open up my box of ideas and allow myself to question what is most important to me, how can I learn from it and and how can this help other people?


A lot of our sources and learning 
experienced and work based learning (WBL), which is why it is so important that our inquiries match out needs. The approach is personal. I must be able to take myself 'out of the box' and view this needs as the student I am, the dancer and aspiring choreographer. Just by doing this I have already instilled a basic theme in which I would like to direct my research. As a very general, that would be overcoming the fears in your career and the importance of taking a risk when necessary.


But in order to have a collective, unbiased and all rounded result, it is vital to get in touch with other people and their feeling or opinions on the subject of matter. That means getting involved in the network of communications taking work into consideration, school, family and friends, so that greater ideas are shared. The more we share with one another the more we learn and it will make the process much more fun and rewarding in the end. That idea itself, makes me want to make a change, and I question:

What is it I want to achieve?

Work Based Learning will build a personal approach to my practice investigation while relating it to my working environment, which will keep me motivated and interested and will hopefully create an honest result so help myself and a wider community.

----I would like to take the example of the company I am working with at this moment. After leaving a company that is known for keeping strong to it's traditions of function, management and classical repertoire for many years now, I have entered a company which is going through some drastic changes if we consider the choice of contemporary/experimental repertoire. 

>As a dancer I question: how will this affect me?

>As a Middelsex University Student I question: what can I learn from this change? How can I apply my WBL skills to my Professional Practice? 

Both cases have been left with at least 10 dancers leaving the companies, by their own choices, for opposite, yet related reasons. Which makes this an issue to be presented.----

The issues of fear in change, sticking to traditions vs embracing innovation and their effects, are topics that have triggered my concern and I would like to dig more into how we can create a good balance.

what we have to take into consideration will be:
-company dancers
-audience
-funding
-the country's situation
-the year, generation we are in  

I look forward to hearing your views on this!! 

References: 
Reader 4 (2015-2016)




2 comments:

  1. Taz Spot on triangle of the course - exactly! it sounds like some of these changes and transitions are a part of your professional context - there are also there are some real opportunities here to see how artistic companies develop their repertoire and develop new practice for new audiences. In the work environment change is oftne one of cahnge - and the ideas of how that affects the arts and artists could very much be a part of your inquiry - using a balanceed pint of vie and seeking positive change - as you have advocated. I found this article - http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/features/how-ballet-has-been-transformed-by-choreographers-from-contemporary-dance-its-an-exciting-time-for-10405590.html which sounds like what you are talking about. Remember you can also collect information privately and anonymously for your inquiry - but the passion that people feel about dance also comes through - also look at Zoe Anderson's twitter https://twitter.com/zoeanders0n?lang=en-gb I think the creative aspects of this inquiry could be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paula, Thank you for sharing these links with me! I feel like this is exactly the direction I am aiming for! It has been nice to get in touch with the company's Head of Union, who would be happy to discuss the company's ethics, aspects of the transition and the way the company is heading in a positive light.

    ReplyDelete