Monday 3 April 2017

SIGs - Skype Session with Kristina

A big part of Module 3, is being able to share your work with other people through, and one way is through the use of Blogs as we have learnt from Module 1. I was able to use the comments on my blog to be able to push my research further from my original basic idea, and has also helped me focus, on the topic that I believe most in. 

Just the other day, I happily discovered a SIG within my studying community, Kristina Haladik, and find out that our themes, have many elements in common. We arranged a skype call just this afternoon, to share our ideas about our Final Presentation and found out that we were both either behind or ahead of each other in different places. 

Kristina's theme:
Choreography:
-how does a choreographer start a piece?
-what is the creative process?
-What is their inspiration?

My theme:
Influence of contemporary dance resent in Ballet Companies, and it's effect?
-How are ballet companies changing through time?
-How does modern work/creation affect the course and direction of ballet companies?
-How important is it to keep the tradition of Ballet?


Links:
What are the choreographic aspects of today? >> How will this affect the course that ballet companies will be taking in the future? 

-->> Breakthrough? >> what makes a choreographer original/memorable to stay in history?
-->> increase in contemporary repertoire?
-->> decrease of classical?
-->> What does this mean for the future of ballet?

Ideas/Questions that where brought up:
What makes a choreographer stand out? 
-->> Kristina mentioned the success of a choreographer may not be the aim of originality, but more the fact that they bring a part of themselves to their creations. (history/training/background/inspiration?)
         -->> To be original, or an innovator, it's not having one brilliant idea that no one has come up with before. It is based mostly on the fact that this person, has been shaped by his past and therefore, is able to bring a part of himself or his knowledge to his work. Influenced by a recent TED Talk I watched (guiltily addicted), a great idea has never existed alone. In a way it is considered stolen. And then grown, manipulated, extended, twisted or broken , perhaps mixed with a lot of other ideas to make one new one at the end!
                   -->> Will Ballet disappear? >> In my opinion I believe that it won't. Just like there is an audience that wishes for new creations and modern ideals, I feel that there will always be an audience that favours traditionalism. Ofcourse, this may vary according to the country or the generations which we are speaking about, but this is definitely an issue of my big concern!! The ballet works, such as the Narratives we know for so long may not disappear, however I believe they will change in style, as they have been for so many years now, and they may decrease in Western Europe, at least if we judge by the way companies are evolving nowadays. Now is this a bad thing? I don't know... perhaps it's part of the dance evolution. Should we fight to keep it?.... Let's Find Out!

About the Schedule:
Besides sharing ideas and helping each other develop their research, we believed it was a good idea to let each other know at what stage we are in Module 3. This way we can encourage teamwork and a positive working spirit in completing the work on time.


I was very pleased I got this opportunity to talk to a fellow SIG, and will be looking forward to our next catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment